The radiotap community broadly agreed on this process for adding new fields to radiotap. New fields should be generally useful to everybody using radiotap.
Define the bit number, alignment, width, interpretation of the fields on the suggested fields page.
- Produce implementations wireshark and/or tcpdump and for one or more drivers.
- Post the field definition and patches (the code) on the list.
- Leave at least three weeks for discussion.
- If the proposal withstands discussion, re-post proposal in final form; otherwise start from the beginning.
- Adopt the proposal in one week if there are no further objections (discussion is over, however, another week lets everyone verify that the proposal and amendments, as discussed, have become the standard); make the necessary wiki/spec changes.